A notification from the IRS alerting you that you need to pay them unpaid taxes is one of the most unpleasant things you can get in the mail. There are many different causes of back taxes.
Always know that your taxable income includes more than simply the earnings you receive from regular employment. Other sources of income, such as those from investments, side jobs, the sale of real estate, and others, may also need to be reported. If the IRS receives tax information from third parties, they will be able to assess whether you have underreported income on tax return.
Tips to Fix the Underreported Income:
- Determine the extent of underreported income before doing anything else. If it is minor, you ought to hold off on filing an updated return until the IRS has finished processing the original one. The majority of federal income tax returns are handled within about 21 days of filing.
- However, you must continue with an amended tax return if the misreported taxes are significant enough that you would owe more in taxes.
- The inability to submit updated tax returns electronically is one drawback of amended tax returns. The IRS might have already reviewed your initial tax return and might not receive the revised return because the paperwork must be sent through ordinary mail. This can cause further confusion in the future.
- If you know you made a significant error, it is better to put the initiative because the IRS warns that amended returns might take as long as 16 weeks to process.
- You cannot submit an amended return if you have received a Notice CP2000 from IRS. Instead, you must choose between two responses to the CP2000. Either you accept the suggested changes, or you reject them and submit a signed statement outlining your objections.
It is crucial to keep in mind that you should not always believe the CP2000 at face value. For example, some CP2000s contain false claims, and all you need to do to correct them is provide evidence. However, if you are positive that you intentionally or unintentionally underreported your income, you can make the necessary corrections before a Notification CP2000 is delivered to your home.